The PhD Program on Plant Health, under the auspices of the National Center for Animal and Plant Health (CENSA), is assigned to the Agrarian University of Havana (UNAH). It aims at contributing to the training of specialists at the highest scientific level with an updated vision of the global and Cuban plant health problems, the main approaches its development has gone through, and the current trends regarding Plant Protection. The program, approved by the National Commission for Scientific Degrees (CNGC) of the Republic of Cuba and in 2016 was acredited as excellence programm by The National Acreditatio Join (JAN) , has a teaching staff of specialists from CENSA and other research centers and universities, recognized nationally and internationally.
Coordinator: Lic. Moraima Suris Campos, PhD.
Scientific degree granted: PhD on Agricultural Sciences.
Duration: 4 years in the case of applicants who have started a relevant investigation in relation with thesis topic. Can be do in 3 years according to the Academic Committee’s evaluation
- Diagnostic and characterization of agricultural pest
- Design and implementation of pest management
- Development of bio-product for plant protection
- Invertebrates as pests
- Plant Protection
- University degree title or Official Certification, that certifies this level possession
- Be less than 35 years old. Exceptional cases may be authorized by the Scientific Grade National Commission Plenary
- Approval letter from the Institution Manager where the applicant works
- Research report about the work carried out
- Curriculum vintae
- Approve entrance test
- Show proficiency in reading English
- Thesis project.
- Foreign Language Proficiency Test (English, French, German or Russian and Spanish for not Spanish- speaking foreign candidates).
- Test on Social Issues in Science and Technology.
- Specialty Test.
- Teaching-learning method (part or full time).
- Specialized core courses (curricular).
Requirements for obtaining the scientific degree
- To accumulate the credits required in the program (curricular).
- To have, at least, two papers published as first author in a refereed international journal, where the research work carried out during the PhD studies is the substantial element.
- Presentation of the results of the thesis in two national or international scientific events.
- An essay on Social Issues in Science and Technology applied to the specialty.
- To pass the Foreign Language Proficiency Test (English, French, German or Russian and Spanish for not Spanish- speaking foreign candidates).
- To pass the Specialty Test.
- A thesis with the results obtained during the development of the research Project.
- To discuss the results of the thesis at the appropriate Technical Advisory Committee, and then, at the Board intended for such purposes.
- Defense of the thesis at the appropriate Permanent Board of Animal Health, of the National Commission for Scientific Degrees of Cuba.
For further information
Lic. Sandra Cuello Portal, PhD.
Ing. Aleika Iglesia Lozano, PhD.
Teléfono: 53 47 863677